Thursday, November 13, 2008

Who's in your top 10?

Ever wonder who were the top 10 most dangerous animals in the planet? Well, LiveScience compile the 10 most dangerous from around the world. So sit back, get your popcorn ready, and be prepare to watch out for these animals.

Top 10:

10.) Poison Dart Frog: Has a slimy neurotoxin that is very dangerous to all predators.
9.) Cape Buffalo: They weigh about 1,500 pounds and attacks with its 2 big sharp horns.
8.) Polar Bear: These big bear are big and I literally mean big, Their breakfast is consist of elephant seals.
7.) Elephants: Each year they kill about 500 people. African Elephants weight about 16,000 pounds so if they stomp on you, expect death.
6.) Australian Saltwater Crocodile: these killers can plunge any prey under water to drown and then eat them for lunch afterwards.
5.) African Lions: These hunters are extremely dangerous with their big fangs, sharp claws, and are fast.
4.) Great White Sharks: These sharks are entice by blood and can chew with their 3,000 teeth.
3.) Australian Bow Jellyfish: They contain about 60 tentacles that are 15 feet long. Each of the 60 tentacles has about 5,000 stinging cells which can kill approximately 60 people.
2.) Asian Cobra: Their sting is not as strong as other snakes but there are about 50,000 deaths a year due to snakes and Asian Cobra is responsible for most of it.

Drum roll please…..Number 1 in the chart by LiveScience is:

1.) Mosquitoes: Not all bites all safe. These blood thirsty insects are responsible for 2 million deaths a year and some carry malaria causing parasites.



Revision (11/17): Thanks everybody who read and commented on my blog. I'm sure every experts out there have their idea of who's the top 10 most dangerous animals in the planet based on their scientific research. Agree or disagree, the listed animals by Live science are pretty dangerous that can kill any species with their given attributes. I'm not sure how the experts conclude these 10 animals are more dangerous than other species. Honestly, I did not expect mosquitoes to be #1 but it would makes sense with the disease they carry around and the amount of death it has caused. I would've expected the cobra to be rank #1 because of their dangerous sting and how intimidating and deadly they are.

Posted by: David Huynh (9)

13 Comments:

At 7:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome topic. I always wondered what animals were the most dangerous, and the way they are ordered is very amusing. I never would of thought that misquitos would be number one, even though they do pass on diseases. I never even heard of the Australian Bow Jellyfish, and I don't think I want to meet it either. That thing is huge! Do you think this is a general consensus of the science world of the top ten, or do you think that various sources would beg to differ?

Katie Cole

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger PWH said...

Great topic...who would have ever thought tiny mosquitoes would be at the top of the list!!! Its amazing how all of these animals have a evolved a variety of things that make them dangerous like weight, horns, teeth, poisonous stingers, speed, etc.

-Joanne Philippeaux

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger PWH said...

haha!! i loved how you stopped it and went "drum roll" and that the #1 was mosquitoes it made me laugh since everything else on the list was so scarey and intimidating and the #1 is a little insect we can squish with our fingers, truly amazing.

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger PWH said...

This is good to know. I always think of mosquitoes as annoying not threatening even though I do know how much damage they can cause. I use to always think that mosquitoes were only dangerous in Africa, how shallow minded, but in recent years it is scary cause they are now affecting the U.S. just as bad. When was this list complied? Has it always been the same or does it change?

Chantal Gomes

 
At 1:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice choice. i recently watched a show on the top 10 mores dangerous venoms and the winner was the bee. as there allergic reactions kill more than any others much like the mosquito carries disease more than toxins actually kill people.

-Matthew Sousa

 
At 2:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! this blog was so fun to read! I had no idea that mosquitos caused 2 million death a year. I also had no idea that elephants killed 500 people year. I have actually seend an Australian crocodile and they are huge and disgusting! Very good read!


Mia DiFabbio

 
At 3:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not surprised that mosquitoes are number one. I honestly didn't expect number one but I definitely thought they'll be up there.
What I found cool was the other species on the list. I know elephants are dangerous if they step on you but I never thought people actually die from being stepped on by an elephant.

Noam pelleg
11/15/08

 
At 2:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting topic. I was wondering how exactly these dangerous animals were graded. Is it by number of human deaths? That doesn't seem right, because several of these animals, like polar bears and sharks, kill very few people.

--Jane de Verges

 
At 5:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm surprised that hippos aren't on their list. I had always heard that they were the most dangerous african animal, causing more deaths than crocs or lions. Since they don't look dangerous, and are herbivores, people aren't as careful about avoiding them as they are animals like bears and lions and crocs. But they're actually very territorial and quick to attack. I might do some research on my own now to see how many deaths a year hippos cause.
-Corinne Delisle

 
At 10:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting. I would have expected a lot more poisonous animals to make the list. Mosquitoes are scary to me and every time I am bit I worry about west nile. Ticks are also right up there with mosquitoes, and I've had several friends who have contracted lime disease and needed treatment. Although the larger mammals are intimidating, I am more afraid of the smaller insects that hide in your shoes or between your sheets, like spiders.

Rachel Carboni

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger PWH said...

Interesting post! I enjoyed reading the top ten most dangerous animals. How did scientist go about scaling "who" is the most deadliest and deadly to who? Humans? I just don’t believe how these 10 animals are the most deadly in the world. There are so many deadly creatures out there to decide who is the deadliest. Good post.

-Carlos A. Varela

 
At 11:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about bees killing the people who are allergic to them? Or spiders injecting venim into prey? Or rabid UMass chipmunks and squirrels that come too close to humans even when they are not affected by rabies?
I thought at least one of these would make the list. Good post.

Jordan Grinstein

 
At 11:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool topic. I would have never guess mosquitoes. It makes sense though, there are so many of them and they can probably transmit diseases pretty easily. my guess would have been the great white or the cobra though.

Alex Pavidapha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home